As your state representative, Norma has been a consistent voice for prioritizing education funding as a first priority in the budgeting process. She believes in the unique worth and potential of each child. Our state constitution is clear: Providing for the education of all children residing within our borders is our paramount duty.
Norma believes we owe our teachers, administrators and staff a debt of gratitude. They serve in so many different roles, often chasing moving targets from the state, and they do so with a heart for students – an eye on providing a successful path ahead for each child that enters their classrooms. Over the past couple of years, the Legislature (through strong, bipartisan efforts) has turned a corner, making significant new investments in our K-12 education system. Here are some highlights from the historic legislation passed and signed into law which Norma supported:
- Increases state funded compensation by nearly $6 billion over four years to equip all school districts with sufficient resources to recruit and retain high-quality staff and provide students with a uniform program of basic education – regardless of zip code.
- Increases allocations for various programs targeted to struggling students and districts.
- Maintains local effort assistance to provide tax relief to taxpayers in property-poor districts and to provide these students with the same enrichment opportunities as students in property-wealthy districts.
- Providing transparency to prevent a return to an unconstitutional over-reliance on local levies.
- Provides an annual automatic COLA to keep state salary allocations in pace with inflation.